||Virtual Server 2005 R2, now available as a free download, is the server virtualization technology engineered for the Windows Server System platform. As a key part of any server consolidation strategy, Virtual Server increases hardware utilization and enables IT staff to rapidly configure and deploy new servers.
What's New in This Release
Virtual Server 2005 R2 includes the following new capabilities:
Virtual Server 2005 R2 Enterprise Edition can be installed on servers with up to 32 physical processors.
• Virtual Server host clustering. Support for host-to-host connectivity lets you cluster all virtual machines running on a host.
• iSCSI support. iSCSI clustering enables guest-to-guest connectivity across physical machines.
•x64 support. Virtual Server runs natively within a 64-bit Windows host operating system, providing increased performance and memory headroom.
• Enhanced PXE booting. PXE boot support has been added to the virtual machine network adapter. This means that when the appropriate network infrastructure is in place, you can perform a network installation of a guest operating system in the same way as physical servers.
• Other improvements. Virtual Server now includes improved hyperthreading, support for F6 Disk (SCSI driver), and virtual disk pre-compactor functionality.
• Performance improvements.