Impress Your Date - Dress for Success
So, it's five minutes past the time you were supposed to meet your date at the restaurant and, instead of rushing out the door, you're home #8209;- wiggling out of the tenth outfit you've tried on tonight. Your room's a mess. Your nerves are shot. And you're too busy bemoaning your boring wardrobe to get excited about the guy waiting for you around the corner. When it comes to making a fashionable first impression, frustration and indecision seem to come with the territory. But it doesn't have to be that way. You can show up for a first date (on time) looking and feeling good #8209;- not to mention calm. We turned to professional matchmaker Samantha Daniels and asked her to share her secrets to making a great first impression. Here, she explains what you should keep in mind when dressing for a first date:
1. Pick clothing that fits your body type and concentrate on choosing things that flatter you. Don't just go with the current trend. A trend is only good if it works on you; otherwise, it's a mistake.
2. Wear clothing that enhances your look, and make it a rule not to wear anything that detracts from it. If you have a unique, quirky personality, let that personality come across in your interactions with a guy rather than through your clothing. You don't want your outfit to be the only thing the guy notices about you.
3. Make sure you have one go-to outfit in your closet that you know fits you and looks good on you. That way, if you're pressed for time, are having a "fat day" or are indecisive about what to put on, you can always grab it in a pinch. Think of it as a first-date uniform of sorts. You'll have a lot more fun on a date if you feel confident because you know what you're wearing looks great.
4. Ask yourself, does your clothing scare men off? If you have expensive taste #8209;- and reveal that through your outfit on a first date #8209;- a man might be hesitant to take you on a second one. So consider saving those designer duds until you go out again. You don't want his first thought to be concern that he'll have to take a second job to support your clothing habit.
5. Dress appropriately for the kind of date you're going on. If you're going out for casual drinks, then pass on the skin-baring dress. If you're going to a work-related cocktail party with him, leave your corduroys in the closet. Always dress appropriately for the occasion #8209;- men don't want you to stick out like a sore thumb any more than you want to.
You never get a second chance to make a good first impression. Itís true that most people make instant, often subconscious, judgments about someoneís personality based on the first few seconds of their first meeting. Because of this fact, it is vitally important to look and dress your best when meeting for a first date. Appropriate attire, good grooming, and fashionable style can really impress someone on a first date, and may be the make-or-break factor regarding how they would feel about a second date. Here are some tips to help you look your best when trying to impress.
Learn to Look Your Best
If you do not have an inert sense of style, you may need to do a little bit of research in order to find out what looks best fit your body type, complexion, and personality. A good way to find out what colors look best on you is to have a color analysis done. Visit a reputable spa or salon that can perform a color analysis on you and find out which colors work best with our completion. Based on the analysis, go out and buy some outfits that work within your compatible color scheme.
Another way to find out what outfits, make-up, and fashion choices look best on you is to keep track of what your friends, family, and co-workers are saying about you. If your best friend keeps commenting about how good you look when you wear a particular color, make note of that and wear that color on your date. If co-workers rave about your new haircut or outfit, itís a good sign that that haircut or outfit is flattering on you and would be a good choice for a first date.
You can also take a friend that you consider to be stylish out shopping with you for your date outfit. It may also be a good idea to read through some fashion magazines to keep up-to-date on trends and purchase dating clothes based on recommendations. Make sure you wear your new outfit out in public before you go on the date to see what sort of reaction you get from your peers. Donít experiment with something brand new on your first date.
Be Subtle Ė Less is More
Donít go overboard when getting ready for your date. We all want to look our best, but nerves may cause you to go a bit too far with your make-up, clothes, or fragrance. Remember, subtle make-up that emphasizes your best facial features can make a better impression than trying to hide your flaws with heavy make up and bright lipstick or blush.
It is also important to go easy on the clothing accessories and jewelry. Nice earrings, a handsome watch, or tasteful necklace can help emphasize a personís beauty and style, but heavy gold chains, rings on every finger, and gaudy bracelets can actually distract a date from recognizing your natural beauty.
When wearing cologne or perfume, donít drench yourself in your fragrance! In order to avoid being overbearing with your fragrance, spray the cologne or perfume in front of you before dressing and then walk into the spray. This will give a subtle hint of fragrance without an overpowering aroma.
Dating Fashion Dos and Doníts to Always Remember
Here are a few fashion tips you should always abide by when going on a date:
1. Have clean, nicely manicured hands, well-groomed facial hair, and a clean haircut.
2. Wear clothes that fit and flatter you, avoid anything too baggy (it could make you look fat or frumpy) and stay away from anything too tight or restricting.
3. Dress appropriately for the occasion, stay away from tank tops and sandals (even if it is your usual style) if you and your date are attending a dinner party
And here are some things you should avoid when dressing to impress on a first date:
1. Donít wear brand new shoes or an outfit you are not comfortable in as new shoes have the potential to really hurt your feet if they are not broken in properly and, if you are continually adjusting your tie or collar because you are not comfortable in a suit, you will turn off your date.
2. Avoid heavy make-up and outrageous outfits, they take away from who you really are and your natural beauty.
3. Donít try to be too trendy; you may not be able to pull it off. If you want to experiment with your look, do it before the date and get feedback as to whether or not the look works for you.